PwC’s 2018 Global Economic Crime and Fraud Survey found that 49% of global organizations say they’ve experienced economic crime in the past two years. So would it mean that the remaining 51% have been protected against any such attacks or could it be that they are not even aware that an attack has taken place? Lack of awareness among organizations has given fraudsters extra ammunition to fire their salvos.
Is it just the big corporations that face the brunt of cyber-attacks? Well, no. According to The Ponemon Institute’s 2017 State of Cybersecurity in Small & Medium-Sized Businesses report, 61 percent of the respondents say that their companies have faced a cyber-attack in 2017, up 6 percent from the previous year. Data breaches were reported by 54 percent as against 50 percent in 2016. It goes to show that not only big organizations but also small and medium businesses are targeted by these attackers as these small enterprises are less likely to have advanced technology and protection in place.
It is essential for businesses both large and small to understand and acknowledge the true nature of cyber threats for what it is – a significant threat to their business, a threat to their revenues and a threat to their critical data which could dent their brand image. However, with the right cybersecurity strategy in place, this threat to the business could be minimized and customer loyalty maintained.
- Put in place a cybersecurity policy:
- Determine which industry regulations and other security protocols to comply.
- Put in place the guidelines of what data to protect, how and where to store it.
- Ensures all employees are aware of what is expected of them and what to do in case of a cyber-attack.
- State clearly who is responsible for maintaining the policy and who would enforce compliance with the policy.
- Set appropriate access control in place for servers, Internet, applications, etc.
- Install virus and malware protection:
- Ensure that an up-to-date antivirus is installed on all devices connected to the network and email gateways to prevent any kind of virus attacks.
- Ensure that anti-malware software is installed to add that extra layer of security in case your employees inadvertently get into something suspicious.
- Prevent any kind of ransomware attacks that could cripple your day to day operations and cause financial loss.
- Keep your infrastructure updated and protected:
- A strong firewall with intrusion detection and prevention would help thwart any web attacks and prevent data leaks.
- Install the latest patches on all servers, software to ensure that there is protection against the latest threats.
- Put in place a robust data back-up and recovery plan to minimize data loss effects.
- Build Security Awareness culture:
- Communicate and educate employees on the cyber threats and risks to the organization and how to deal with them.
- Enforce strong BYOD policy to protect your network from any malicious threats finding its way through the employees’ devices.
These factors for security might seem overwhelming and with the complexity of dealing with cybersecurity increasing day by day, it makes excellent business sense to enlist a cybersecurity expert to monitor and protect your data, network, and devices. By utilizing a specialist third-party company with experience in the cybersecurity, you can be assured that they would be equipped with the latest technology and tools to deal with the latest threats, and your protection evolves and scales up as needed. With their expertise they would know exactly what to look out for, regulate and control traffic through your network, notify you in case of any threats or vulnerabilities and also put in action remedial measures to counter the attacks, giving you the peace of mind to focus on your business.
Security experts like Seqrite, have an array of digital security solutions that could protect your organization against any kind of cyber attacks and intrusions like high-end antivirus software, endpoint and gateway security, mobile device management, data loss prevention and many more. Built on innovation and simplicity, Seqrite solutions combine intelligence, applications analysis, and latest technology in the right mix to offer better security for the customers. Seqrite has focused on specialization in cybersecurity and through their strong R&D team, have introduced new products and applications to counter the ever-growing cyber threat. They are continuously tracking evolving threats to define, improve and customize their product offerings to protect critical data and network.
Seqrite has the necessary tools and proficiency that can be used to secure your organization’s identity, assets, and technology against the current day cyber-attacks.
As an IT security partner for your business, Seqrite provides comprehensive security from advanced cyber threats. To know more