Enterprise networks are susceptible to brutal intrusions – some of these intrusions could be in the form of systems on the network running unauthorized applications with vulnerabilities and backdoors. When such vulnerabilities are exploited, unsolicited access to the network occurs which can have a range of unpleasant consequences for businesses.
To prevent such unauthorized intrusions on the network, it is essential to deploy a security solution which can detect these events and work actively towards prevention. An Intrusion Detection System (IDS) monitors all incoming and outgoing network activity and identifies any signs of intrusion in your systems that could jeopardize your business. Its main function is to raise an alert when it discovers any such activity and hence it is commonly known as a passive monitoring system.
Nowadays, IDS systems have received a facelift. We now have an advanced solution viz. IPS that is helping enterprises in a huge way to cope up with the menace of cyber-attacks that happen through business networks.
IPS is part of and a salient feature of Unified Threat Management (UTM), a highly effective product to block threats penetrating via business networks.
What are IPS and how does it help in the prevention of network intrusions?
An Intrusion Prevention System (IPS) is a step ahead of IDS with its capabilities. The system detects and blocks anomalies on a company’s network. It does that through:
- Monitoring routers, firewalls, key servers and files and matching intrusions with a signature database in the event of a breach
- Raising an alarm with targeted notifications at key personnel when there is a breach
- The number of false alarms is low because of the cross-verification with a signature database
- Detecting patterns by identifying various types of attacks and providing insights on administrators for further protection
- Maintaining regulatory compliance by providing greater visibility across the entire network
How does UTM as a whole help in defending your business network?
Seqrite’s Unified Threat Management (UTM) offers a one-stop solution for all enterprise security needs which includes intrusion detection and prevention as a standard feature.
UTM’s in-built IDS and IPS components keep enterprises safe by:
- Monitoring, evaluating and catching threats in real-time
- Preventing Denial of Service (DoS)/Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks
- Preventing the discovery of open ports by attackers
Seqrite UTM’s IPS acts as a security barrier against unwanted intrusions into your network and forestalls a broad range of DoS and DDoS attacks before they penetrate the network. Deploying this level of protection can benefit an enterprise in various ways, including:
- Providing a snapshot of network security at one glance
- Protection of enterprise assets within the network
- Triggers raised on detection of any suspected breach or activity in the network
- A holistic approach towards prevention of intrusions
Apart from its powerful Intrusion Prevention System, Seqrite’s Unified Threat Management (UTM) solution is equipped with other key features like Gateway Antivirus, Web Filtering, High Availability, Centralized Management System (CMS), etc. to ensure it acts as the first line of defence against all network attacks.